Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tomorrow.

I just took a step back in time as I scrolled through my blog archive to October 2009, the month that I first met the mountain children. Reading that post, I can still relive every helpless emotion that I felt as my feet trudged back up the hill that evening. I was desperate for a solution... Little did I know that the Lord was calling me to be a part of it.

Since that time, by the grace of God, I've been able to connect and build relationships with each of the children and their parents. I've watched the newborn babies learn to crawl and talk and take baby steps. I've watched the children learn to write their names and count numbers. I've watched watermelons grow in their father's garden. I've watched the goat trails I walk on grow wider and smoother as other friends and family members have joined in on the journey. I've watched the families come to church and build relationships with other church leaders.
I've watched the Lord work in incredible ways, but most of all, I've watched the way that He has turned my confused and devastated heart, into a testimony of His love and hope for the least of these.

Tomorrow I will watch again. Along with over 2,500 other students, 5 of the mountain children will be entering the mission gates to receive an education here at the School of Hope. Over the past week, I spent a lot of my afternoon time with Robenson checking off our lists, meeting with the parents to explain the school schedule, buying last-minute supplies at the market, and outfitting the children in their new uniforms (stay tuned for pictures coming soon!).
Even after all of this, I still can barely absorb that it's actually happening. These children are going to have a chance at something new and marvellous. Indeed, their lives will be forever changed.

So when you read this, wherever you are, I ask you to say a prayer for Peterson (kindergarten), Dida (grade 1), Sonson (grade 3), Marie Rose (grade 3) and Jean Bathel (grade 6). Pray with me that these children will continue to become all that the Lord has made them to be as they embark on this new journey. Pray Luke 2:52 over them, that they may grow in wisdom, stature, and in favour with God and man. Pray that they would love to learn, and that this year would be a new generation of growth, not just for them but for their families as well.
To God be all of the glory, for hearing the cries of His people and for His faithful provision. May He continue to carry out His good work until completion in the lives of these dear children.

No comments: