Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bright Spots

I feel like every time I sit down to write a new blog I am flooded with so many different memories, stories and emotions... It's hard to know where to begin! 
This past week has been another blur of school days combined with team-building and outreach. At the beginning of the week, another church team arrived, and although I enjoy getting to know them, sometimes I get discouraged because I wish I could be more involved in the life of the mission with them... When teams arrive, they have so much work lined up for them around the mission and surrounding villages, and I often find myself wishing I could go along. Teaching takes up a lot more time then the standard school hours when you factor in prep work and marking, so I often get jealous of the other people on staff who get to go out and interact with the Haitian people. It's in times like this that I have to remind myself why I am here - I am here to teach these children. That is my priority! So although it may not be as glamorous as what the other staff members get to do, I still need to pour my heart into it and serve wholeheartedly. 
It's been pretty tough in school this week as I've been teaching some difficult math lessons - long division and decimals - and I've really had to lean back on the Lord. It is often easy for me to puff myself up and give myself credit for the training and experience I have as a teacher, as if I can do it all on my own. But in the difficult times of teaching and managing the kids this week, I have been reminded once again of my weakness and how I am so desperate for the Lord's patience and wisdom. I would not succeed in this task without His constant provision and guidance, and never want to forget how much I need Him... This week was just another reminder!
So let me tell you now about a bright spot in my week, which happened yesterday. It was Thursday so I had planned for a full day of teaching with the kids, but during lunch Cheryl suggested that we take the afternoon off and ride along into Cabaret to see the orphan kids with the team. I was so thrilled to be a part of the mission outreach and it was such a fun afternoon. The kids were the same children who stayed at the mission high school after their orphanage was destroyed from the hurricane, so a lot of them recognized me and blessed me with hugs and smiles. It was a joyful afternoon of singing and games, and I didn't want to leave. Near the end of our time, we got to bring out the children's meals of rice and beans, and I was amazed as we brought out the food how much the children looked after one another. Even though they were all hungry, it blessed my heart to see the older children feeding the younger ones, and despite the close quarters, I was impressed at how they all sat quietly and patiently until everyone was fed. These children have truly blessed me more than I can express in words! 
This weekend, I was also given the opportunity to go along to do kids clubs in the villages past Cabaret. So I've got to keep plugging away on my teaching prep for next week so I can afford to be out tomorrow! 
Thank you again for all of your love and prayers for me... I will leave you with some good news ~ I am coming home for Christmas! So I look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!

No comments: