Friday, May 11, 2012

Mornings that last.

After a blurry week of integer reviews and mothers day crafts, 3cord countings, Pierre sing alongs, evening cookie feasts and a road trip to the city, I sit by the window and feel the cool rain air breeze through.

Lately, the days here have been hot - hotter than the usual temperatures over here, anyways. The morning heat accelerates into the afternoon, but by night the clouds roll over and the south wind carries with it a lasting refreshment until the sun breaks through the dawn again.

I'm thankful for this change in season. For the green that covers and consumes this island. For the life that thrives around me. And for the reminder that I too and growing and brought to life. 

It starts in the morning. I love the way I get to begin my day. Looking out into my mountainous backyard, the pop of the toaster coupled with fresh Haitian fruit for breakfast, as the sound from my speakers harmonies with the words in my Bible.

This preface for the day is rarely interrupted, and I am so grateful for this peaceful staging before the unfurling of the rest. Because when my screen door swings, and my phone starts jingling, I quickly feel the carpet-like foundation I've set for my day coming rolling out from under me. The prayer times and the heart to hearts and the divine morning words from my Bible can become but a distant hope in the back of my mind instead of the forefront. More and more I realize that it takes an continual intention and discipline to keep the Lord at the center.

It's my prayer that in the days to come I would be more focussed around the power and peace that I experience every morning. I get to do life with an incredible group of people in this place, and I am challenged daily by their words and wisdom based on the way that they are centred around Jesus. I am humbled and challenged to pursue this lifestyle on my own. A form of meshing my practical life with the gospel, which I think was best quoted by Tim Keller, presented to us in staff meeting this week.

The gospel is that we are far worse off than we believe, and far more loved than we could ever imagine.

As I stumble and fall over these simple truths, tonight I'm thankful for the love that covers me, just as the rain falls to the ground. May it not return empty, but produce life and fruit. And so it is with us; may the words and truths run deep into our lives. Consuming and transforming us so that we too may accomplish what He desires for our days.






For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven

and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, 
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
~ Isaiah 55:10-11

10 

No comments: