Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Beautiful things.


All this pain
I wonder if I’ll ever find my way
I wonder if my life could really change at all
All this earth
Could all that is lost ever be found
Could a garden come up from this ground at all

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us

All around
Hope is springing up from this old ground
Out of chaos life is being found in You

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us

You make me new, You are making me new
You make me new, You are making me new

This song, Beautiful things by Gungor, has been my soundtrack song this week.
The more I listen, the more I recount so many beautiful things to celebrate...

Like Doulie, the little boy in the mountains who led the way down to the coconut tree in crutches. He lost one of his legs in the earthquake, but he kept a quicker, more-surefooted pace than I. When his friends started up a improv game of soccer, he played along with the same vigor and enthusiasm.
Like Micayelle, the 2-year old daughter of my mountain friends. Sitting under the cactus tree, she picked out the seeds one by one from the watermelon slice on her mom's lap and placed them in the tin bucket for her dad to plant in his gardens.
Like the bougainvillea flowers, that spill over the gate and never cease to bloom brighter.
Like baby Pierre, who grins, babbles and lifts his little hand to wave back to whomever entertains his vision.
Like my students, who are dedicated to their work amidst the hot temperatures, and who never pass up a challenge to chase mice out of the classroom when I chicken out.
Like the encouragement and prayers that have been generously bestowed upon me through the letters and cards that have been sent from loved ones back home. I took some time to look back and read some of the messages this week. What a blessing it is to serve together as the body of Christ.

Indeed, You make beautiful things.

No comments: