Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Double harvest.

One of the things that I love about living in Haiti is that I get to partake in a lot of different celebrations and traditions than I would typically not be exposed to back in Canada. Haitian weddings, creole cuisine, and learning how to play 'Texas hold'em poker' are just a few of the ways that I have expanded my horizons on this island.... Some more cultivating than others. ;)
This coming weekend is no different. On Saturday evening with my American neighbours, I am excited to join in on another thanksgiving feast with real turkey and "all the fixins" (as they like to say in the south).
In keeping with the theme of the season and my students' family traditions, our devotions have also revolved around thanksgiving for an extended time this fall, and our class tree is now bursting with fall leaves inscribed with gratitudes. With this in mind, I can't help but center back around the blessings that I've been so lavishly given by my Father in heaven. Indeed, He is the giver of good gifts!
So along with giving thanks for things like the Butterball turkeys (generously donated by a manager at Publix) and evening rainfall and laughter in the back of a pickup truck, I am thankful for the double harvest reminder of what it means to live a life of thankfulness. It's my prayer that as the season changes and new themes emerge, that I could claim this lifestyle the whole year through. May I be aware of the joys that are so creatively sprinkled through my days from a God of love.
... As a clever quote on Pinterest likes to say ~ Thanksgiving is great; Thanksliving is better.

Happy 2nd thanksgiving from Haiti!

No comments: