Friday, February 11, 2011

Known.

Peter Bradley Adams sings,
If I wander till I die, may I know whose hand I'm in.

Sometimes I feel like a wanderer.
I flounder around like a fish. My brain is scattered with a million random thoughts. I try to attach myself to something stable. All the time searching for an identity. Something to be known by. I want to be recognized and understood.
When my life becomes about being known I feel like I'm on one of those mouse wheels. Spinning and spinning, but never truly going anywhere. I strive to get in people's 'good books'. But what are the 'good books' anyways?

Lately I've been thinking about the concept of being known, and valued. How we as humans spend our whole lives on that fleeting purpose and no one ever really finds it. I was stumbling and stammering about the meaning of it all as I watched the sunset tonight, and the Lord gave me an important truth.

Life is not about being known.
Life is simply about knowing the One who knows me best.

Catching a glimpse of the love of the Father.
Understanding the grace of the Saviour.
Grasping the power of the Creator.
Resting in the freedom of the King.

It's like touching the tip of the iceberg and looking down to the endless depth of the ocean. God is totally unfathomable. We are a speck in the infinite universe. My small, simple mind can't even begin to comprehend all that our God is. It's not about us. Period. And yet, God is about relationship and wanting to be known by us, His people. Day by day and step by step, He gracefully reveals Himself in majestic ways.

All I have to do is stop the rat race. Take my mind off myself and my agenda to be known, and focus on who He is. May I be reminded to live - not to be known better, but to know the One who knows me better than anyone ever will. Live to know whose hand I'm in.

Oh that we may know the Lord, let us press on to know Him.
Then He will respond to us as surely as the sun rises, or the coming of rains in early spring.
Hosea 6:3

No comments: