Saturday, September 4, 2010

Slumber party.

It's happened before.
Babies left at the foot of our doorsteps and our hearts. Innocent lives that have been abandoned and left helplessly in the balance.
We've witnessed the miracles in Hannah, Jeremiah, Job, Smider, Angeline and now... Pierre.
Yesterday afternoon I got a call from Sarah, you may remember me referring to her as 'Cheri' in past posts. Sarah works at the clinic coordinating weekly medical teams and everything else in between. She is so wonderful and you need to check out her blog here.
Sarah informed me about a little boy about 2 years old who had been abandoned by his mother at the clinic. He was seen for a case of muscular dysfunction that day, and was found by the benches in the clinic waiting area afterwards without a parent.
Thus began a small team of medics from our mission searching out Port-au-Prince hospitals for available room or treatment for the little guy. Nothing was currently available for Pierre, so he was taken to the Mayor's office in Cabaret for a decision to be made about what to do. Mr. Marc was contacted by our staff and our hopes were fulfilled by 10pm when Sarah and Lindsay returned with the baby in their arms.
Within minutes, the girls and I transformed the Friday Night Lights theatre into a baby haven. Out with the coffee table and in with the double mattress. Out with the decorative pillows and in with the bed sheets and diapers. Out with the school books and laundry piles stacked on the kitchen table and in with the Pedialyte and bottles.
Pierre slept between Sarah and I peacefully under our softest towel last night. He awoke twice, once for a bottle and once for a diaper change. Sarah and I did our best to keep him snuggled. It was quite a memorable slumber party. This morning, we fed him mashed banana and applesauce and managed to get a few toothy smiles out of him. We don't know what will transpire in the days to come, but we do believe that the Lord has a plan for this little life.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

Psalm 139:13-18

Thank you for your prayers for baby Pierre, for the family that is undoubtedly broken, and for us who get to sleep by his side and wait for what happens next.

No comments: