Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sick days.

Monday night was not fun.
I spent most of my sleeping hours in the bathroom, until there was nothing left in my stomach. As a result, I had to 'call in sick' for my teaching on Tuesday where I slept for hours at a time broken up by a few spoonfuls of jello. I think a combination of a bug with something I ate was the cause, but it's still hard to say. Looking back, I've actually been amazed at how healthy I've been leading up to this point. For the amount of teams that come, and the sicknesses that they suffer from after being here for only 1 or 2 weeks, I have been extremely blessed. But of course, I'm not immune, and when it hit me, it hit hard.

As I lay in my bed yesterday morning, all I wished for was that I could be home in Wainfleet with my mom nursing me back to health like she always does. I didn't have that yesterday, but the Lord provided in other ways. First, Dr. Cheryl (emphasis on the 'doctor'!) came into my apartment after I woke up around noon and checked my temperature, turned on some fans in my bedroom, brought me a cool washcloth, and poured me some water. She also informed me that Teagan and the boys would be coming over later on to do my dishes and tidy up my house for me. A little later on as I drifted off to sleep I heard some dishes clinking and woke up a few hours later to find my once-cluttered kitchen counter all cleared and even the medicine bottles in my bathroom neatly set on the side of the sink. They had also written me a 'Get Well' card which brought me a smile. I gave them an A+ for that! haha

Finally, later on in the evening, Rachel and Amy came to visit and gave me to update on all of the people who were arriving for Ed's funeral today. It was a blessing for me to have them come over and sit with me for a while. Last night was also our weekly 'date night' where we make a point of eating dinner together and then watch a movie. I wasn't up for either last night, but just being able to chat with them for a while was enough to make me feel more like myself.

Fortunately this morning I woke up feeling a lot better. My stomach still felt tender, but I had more energy after sleeping through the night, and was even able to take a shower before going to school. During the morning of teaching, I began to feel a little unsteady again, so much to my disappointment, I was unable to attend Ed's funeral. It was quite a let down for me not to go. I really wanted to be there for the Tytoo children, but I felt that based on my sickness from yesterday it would be better to take it easy. As I sat at my desk in the classroom while the kids continued with their work for the rest of the morning, the children and family members were very close to my thoughts. I thank you for praying along with me for all of those involved in the funeral today, and especially for the children of Tytoo gardens who are suffering a great loss.

I also thank you for your prayers for me as I continue to on the road to recovery... I am thankful to the Lord for providing for my every need, and with the help of my 'Haiti' family, I should be back to my old self in no time. :)


Renee Kievit said...

What a treat and blessing to have your kids take care of you in such a tangible way. I have had that same experience when sick once. The Lord blesses us even when our Moms can't come to our rescue. You have a wonderful new "family" developing around you for love and support. I am so glad that you can see how God has taken care of you, especially physically, and thus you Praise the Lord for His faithfulness. It is a great testimony. I miss you and pray for you often. It will be a great reunion in the summer :)

Twila said...

Diana- here I go again- misty eyed!!!!! I am thanking the Lord for your "new " caring family!!!! He answers prayer!!!
. . . you are a beam of sunshine!!!