Sunday, September 20, 2009

Revamped return.

I have had a jam-packed week. I just realized this morning that I have yet to give a blog update, so here is a quick shpeel on what's happening over here.
First of all, I am safe and sound in Haiti! After a smooth flight on Tuesday, I arrived back at the mission to my 'new' apartment upstairs. The baby twins are living in my old two bedroom apartment, and I've been raised up to the second level in between Rachel and the Rumford family. I hope to post some pictures soon... The view is incredible!
The extent of my week has been filled with unpacking, organizing, scouring, sweating (it's REALLY hot), and catching up with everyone here. Yesterday I got to go along with some of the staff to Port-au-Prince where I purchased paint for my walls (aqua green doesn't exactly compliment red velvet couches), and GROCERIES! Check another day's work off of the list. :)
This morning I wake up to the anticipation of going to church. It will be wonderful to see so many familiar faces, sing some crazy songs in kids church, and continue the tradition of a tap tap ride and fried chicken for lunch. This will be the first day that I won't worry too much about de-cockroaching my kitchen or assembling furniture, and I am thankful that I have a day to 'rest' before the school year hits tomorrow.
The reality of an official routine beginning tomorrow makes me a little nervous. I still feel somewhat overwhelmed by all of the work left to do in my apartment, and with the new classroom not yet complete, I worry about orienting all of the children to our year of school. I am very excited about all that the months ahead will bring. I am excited about teaching and getting to know my students, but it doesn't take away the lingering knot in my stomach.
Thank you for your prayers as I manage all 9 of my students this year. That the first week would spark an enthusiasm and joy for learning in the children. And that I can structure our time wisely so we would all have fun and get along together.
Stay tuned for a school update... I'll do my best to get it out sooner rather than later!

3 comments:

Renee said...

love the update, sounds like you're getting thrown right back into the thick of it :). You will do a great job I'm sure. I'm praying for your reentry time.

Unknown said...

I love the details! I can smile in anticipation right along with you! Your faith-filled optimism even with the knot in your stomach, give me reason to thank God abundantly for you and ask Him to make you very aware of His presence this week!!
Tante Lil

Unknown said...

I love the details! I can smile in anticipation right along with you! Your faith-filled optimism even with the knot in your stomach, give me reason to thank God abundantly for you and ask Him to make you very aware of His presence this week!!
Tante Lil